I'm not in much of a tie-it-all-together-nicely-with-a-bow mood so here's a bulleted list of goings on in the DD household:
- On Saturday Roger and I were supposed to go out on a date (At night! We'd been looking forward to it for weeks.). But, my mom got very sick the night before and even spent time in the emergency room so my parents couldn't babysit (Luckily, she's feeling much better now.). We were bummed out, but decided that it wouldn't get us down so the three of us (me, Delaney and Roger) headed out of town for afternoon drive. We went north with no destination in mind and after about an hour or so of driving, we turned around and went back the way we came. We ended up having an early dinner at an open-air honky tonk out in the country. The weather was warm, the breeze was blowing and the view of cows in a field delighted Delaney. She had a great time on our day-trip, but by the time we left for home, she was a bit of a grump. I think she was tired of being strapped in the back for so long by herself. So, I rode in the backseat with her to keep her spirits up and that was just what she needed, a little company. I taught her where her chin is and she laughed everytime I touched it. She's ticklish there, I guess.
- On Sunday we attended a neighborhood BBQ/potluck and had a great time hanging out with several families. Again, the weather was great and, with the time change, we got to stay out later than usual. Delaney had a ball, crawling all over a quilt laid out for the kids. She entertained everyone with her babytalk (deemed the cutest they'd ever heard by the other moms) and entertained herself by watching the preschoolers run amok. This group gets together monthly for a Sunday evening potluck and they've invited us to become regulars. It'll be fun, but what on earth will we do if we ever have to host? Our house is the size of a matchbox.
- To wean or not to wean? That is the question. Actually, the question is, "Is Delaney weaning?" After our experiences last week, I was pretty sure that was the case. But, as I began to imagine the many benefits I might reap from weaning, Delaney started nursing more frequently and for longer periods of time. Just when I think I have this kid figured out, she changes the rules. I'm continuing to go with the flow and letting her lead. Stay tuned.
- I made an appointment with a pediatric allergist for the end of this week. The doctor we're going to see is a cousin of one of the ladies who cares for Delaney at the gym. I'm looking forward to the appointment in the hopes that we can get some answers (or at the very least some advice and possibly some direction about how to handle the problems with the dairy, latex, dog spit, etc.). I've gotten some wonderful, supportive comments and emails from other mothers who've been through similar experiences with their child(ren). Thank you so much! You've helped reinforce my belief that I should listen to my mommy intuition no matter what.
- I've been looking into various programs and mom groups for Delaney and me to possibly join. We're looking at The Little Gym, YMCA swimming classes, Gymboree, Moms Club International (a local chapter) and another local mommy group. We may try several of these or maybe just one or two to see how they go. Have you had experience with any of them? We keep plenty busy in the mornings by going to the gym, but now that Delaney is slowly giving up her afternoon nap, we'll have more time to do fun things outside the house together.
- Finally, we're going on a trip! But, we're not leaving town. Is that weird? Maybe. But, I'm still looking forward to it. The company that Roger and I work for is having its annual conference in a few weeks and it's taking place at a posh resort on the outskirts of the city. Roger's mom is coming to visit us then too so I've booked us all rooms at the resort for a few nights. And, a friend of mine's husband is speaking at the conference too so my friend is taking a few days off from work to stay at the resort and hang out with us. We'll all go shopping and hang out by the pool during the days while the guys are doing their conference thing and then we get to attend the parties each night. I can't wait! We may not be going far, but it'll still feel like a vacation to me.